The first known Church in this area was LEBANON UNION CHURCH, built about 1855 and burned by the Northern army churchsmallin the retreat after the Battle of Bull Run. Prior to the civil war, Lincolnia was called LEBANON. A Methodist Church was chartered in Lebanon on May 11th 1864. In 1870, Levi Deming suggested naming the community Lincoln to honor President Lincoln. A post office was established in 1875 and as another Lincoln, Virginia, existed it was renamed Lincolnia. In 1876 a Methodist Church was built on Lincolnia Road on land given by Levi Deming. In 1905 a parsonage was built on Lincolnia road on land given by Eunice Barnum.

In the early days our church was on the Fairfax circuit, later it was on the Arlington-Lincolnia Circuit. In 1912 we became a part of the East Fairfax Charge in the Baltimore Conference. Our Minister often served 7 Churches. We became a two-point circuit in 1942 with Franconia. In 1953 we became a separate Charge with our first full time Minister. After 79 years on Lincolnia road we had outgrown that space and on May 8, 1955, land was purchased at the corner of Route 236 (Little River Turnpike) and Lincoln Avenue. Opening day services were held in the new Educational building one hundred years after the first Church was built in Lebanon in 1855.

In May 1964, we held a four day celebration of our 100th year. A new sanctuary was built and consecrated May 9 1965, on our 101st anniversary. In May 1986, the Church note was burned and our sanctuary was dedicated.

      In 1968, when the Methodists Evangelical United Brethren churches merged, we became the “Lincolnia United Methodist Church”.

Our first Women’s Society of Christian Services was organized in 1940 and is now the United Methodist Women. In 1970, the United Methodist Men was reorganized. In 1971, the Lincolnia Fellowship Club for Senior Citizens was founded. In 1982, the “Hermistone Chapel” was placed in the front entrance of the church. Since 1978, we have placed five memorial stained glass windows. In September 1984, we had a program celebrating 200 years of Methodism in America and 120 years in Lincolnia. In 1999, we had a day to celebrate 135 years in the life of Lincolnia United Methodist Church.  In May of 2014, we celebrated the 150th anniversary of Lincolnia.

      There are two families in our church who have served for many years, the William H. Lewis family and the James H. Cassedy family. Cora Barnum Lewis joined the church in 1885 and William H. Lewis joined the church in 1895. James H. Cassedy and his wife, Maggie Cassedy, have been in our record books since 1895. Descendants of both families continue to be active members of the church.

      Lincolnia United Methodist Church is located at 6335 Little River Turnpike. We are an international congregation of United Methodists and Pastor Ray Max-Jones is our minister. We have worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m every Sunday.

Mary Margaret Pence
Church Historian

150th Anniversary

On May 11, 2014 we celebrated  the 150th anniversary of Lincolnia Church.